Scan the QR code using the  NZ COVID Tracer app when you enter campus.

Student Visas

Before you arrive in New Zealand to start your studies, you should have a valid student visa from Immigration New Zealand (INZ).  This will allow you to travel and enter the country. When you enter New Zealand your passport will be stamped. After you get here and intend to carry on your studies, you can renew your student visa at a Massey University campus. 

All international students must have a valid visa while in New Zealand, and it is your responsibility to ensure that your student visa is valid at all times. Please renew your student visa at least two weeks before your current visa is due to expire.

For some of you, after you have completed your studies, you can apply with INZ for a Post Study Work Visa and you can find out more information here.

How to renew my student visa while in New Zealand?

On campus at Massey University

To renew a student visa on campus, international students must complete the Provider Direct Student Visa Application Form (INZ1240), gather all the required documents listed on the Student Visa Checklist (163 KB) , complete and sign the checklist, and bring your application to Massey's International Student Support (ISS) team on your campus.  If you have trouble printing the form and checklist out, or want to check any of the requirements, come on to Massey campus and talk to our Campus Information Services (CIS) team before you prepare your visa application.

Once your application is checked and accepted by the ISS team, you need to pay for a visa renewal fee as directed by ISS staff on your campus. The visa renewal fee is subject to annual review. The ISS team will then put through the application online to Immigration New Zealand on your behalf.

From 1 July 2019 students applying for their Full Fee Paying Student visa through the Provider Direct Student (PDS) visa service, operated by Massey's International Student Support team on campus, will be required to pay the new International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL) fee of $35. The on campus PDS visa renewal fee is NZ$275.  However the following nationalities will be exempt from IVL, and their visa renewal fee is NZ$240 - Australian citizens, American Samoa, Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Federated States of Micronesia, Republic of Marshal Islands, Naaru, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Pitcairn Islands, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu.  

Please note that Massey's International Student Support team only process student visa applications (conditions apply). If you hold other visas, such as a visitor visa or work visa, you would apply direct through New Zealand Government's Immigration site.

Police certificate

All international students who wish to study in New Zealand are required to be of good character. Sometimes  Immigration New Zealand requires you to submit a police certificate from your home country when applying for a visa. Police certificates are normally valid for 3 years after they are presented to Immigration New Zealand. There are "Specific Country Procedures" about how to obtain a police certificate, please click here for more details.


When your visa is approved and granted, an eVisa will be sent to your email address. Please make sure that your Massey Student Portal email address is up to date so you do not miss any important information. If you applied for a visa directly with Immigration New Zealand, please bring a copy of your new visa to Campus Information Service so we can update your records to show that you are legal to be enrolled to study. 

Travel arrangements

Students who apply through Massey University for a student visa must be in New Zealand at the time of their application.  We strongly advise you do not make any overseas travel arrangements before your visa has been accepted by Immigration New Zealand. If the application is submitted on Friday and you intend to travel over the weekend, the application may not be entered into New Zealand Immigration's system until the next business day (Monday) and may be rejected for processing.

What should I do if my visa has expired?

You need to manually make a Section 61 request through Immigration New Zealand if your visa has expired. If you are unlawfully in New Zealand you are under a legal obligation to leave and the following applies: you are not allowed to work or study and you will not be allowed to access healthcare. Immigration New Zealand may consider granting you a visa under section 61 of the Immigration Act 2009 but only in special cases. For more information please see New Zealand Government's Immigration site about Section 61.

When should I apply for a Variation of Condition?

You need to ensure that you meet all the conditions stated on your visa, otherwise Immigration New Zealand has the right to cancel your student visa and not proceed with your future work visa application after you finish your studies.  

If you change your study programme, Massey campus study location or any other changes, you need to apply for a variation of condition with Immigration New Zealand.  Some changes, like the down grading to a lower level of study, will require a visa change.  Please enquire with Massey's International Student Support team on campus for advice. 

Contact us Mon - Fri 8:30am to 4:30pm 0800 MASSEY (+64 6 350 5701) TXT 5222 Web chat Staff Alumni News Māori @ Massey