Skip to Content
New information following the change in COVID-19 alert levels. massey.ac.nz/coronavirus
These regulations are to be read in conjunction with all other Statutes and Regulations of the University including General Regulations for Undergraduate Degrees, Undergraduate Diplomas, Undergraduate Certificates, Graduate Diplomas, and Graduate Certificates.
1. Admission to the Graduate Diploma in Applied Statistics requires that the candidate will meet the University admission requirements as specified, and shall have:
(a) been awarded or qualified for the award of a university degree; and
(b) passed approved 100 level courses in Mathematics and Statistics (one of 160.101, 160.102, 160.103, 160.105, 160.111, 160.112, 160.131, 160.132, 160.133, 228.171; and one of 161.111, 161.122, 161.101, 161.140, or their equivalents).
2. Candidates for the Graduate Diploma in Applied Statistics shall follow a flexible programme of study, which shall consist of courses totalling at least 120 credits, comprising:
(a) courses selected from the Schedule to the Qualification;
(b) at least 120 credits at 200 level or higher, of which at least 75 credits must be at 300 level or higher;
(c) 45 credits from Schedule A courses;
(d) at least 75 credits from Schedule B and Schedule C courses;
(e) no more than 30 credits from Schedule C courses;
(f) attending field trips, studios, workshops, tutorials, and laboratories as required.
3. Notwithstanding Regulation 2, and with the permission of the Programme Director, up to 30 credits from Schedules A or B may be substituted with appropriate alternative courses, including 700 level courses.
4. The Graduate Diploma in Applied Statistics is awarded without specialisation.
5. In order to progress to courses in Schedule C candidates must have successfully completed at least 30 credits from Schedule B courses, and have achieved at least a B+ grade average over all courses previously completed towards the Graduate Diploma in Applied Statistics, in addition to meeting the pre-requisites for the selected course.
6. In cases of sufficient merit, the Graduate Diploma in Applied Statistics may be awarded with distinction.
7. The timeframes for completion as outlined in the General Regulations for Undergraduate Degrees, Undergraduate Diplomas, Undergraduate Certificates, Graduate Diplomas, and Graduate Certificates will apply.
8. Candidates may be graduated when they meet the Admission, Qualification and Academic requirements within the prescribed timeframes; candidates who do not meet the requirements for graduation may, subject to the approval of Academic Board, be awarded the Graduate Certificate in Science and Technology should they meet the relevant Qualification requirements.
9. The general Unsatisfactory Academic Progress regulations will apply.
10. Subject to the Maximum Time to Completion and Abandonment of Studies provisions specified in the Part I regulations for the degree, candidates who commenced study towards the Graduate Diploma in Applied Statistics prior to 1 January 2021 who have passed 161.200 may substitute this for a course within Schedule A. These transition arrangements expire 31 December 2023.
161.390 Special Topic 15 credits
161.380 Statistical Analysis Project 15 credits
P Two 161.3xx courses
161.382 Statistical Analysis Project 30 credits
P Two 161.3xx courses
Page authorised by Academic Manager
Last updated on Thursday 17 September 2020